The Bhongir town is associated with its fort which was built on an isolated rock. It is believed that the western Chalukya ruler Tribuvanamalla Vikramadithya – VI got the fort at this place constructed which was named after him as Tribhuvanagiri. The name subsequently became Bhuvanagiri and Bhongir. The fort is associated with the rule of the Kakatiya queen Rudramadevi and her Grandson Prataparudhra. The town was constituted as a city Municipality in the year 1910. Subsequently constituted as Municipality in the year of 1952.
Bhongir is a fast growing town having spread over 31.12 sq. kms. It is situated at a distance of 67 kms. from Nalgonda District Head Quarters and distance of 48 kms from the state capital Hyderabad. The famous Pilgrim of Lord Yadagiri Laxminarasimha Swamy Devasthanam is located nearby 13 kms. The population of the town is 50407 as per 2001 census and 53434 as per 2011 Census. The town is located at 170–13’, North longitude and 780-53’ east longitude and 609.9 mtr. above the main sea level.